Copper Pushfit Joints Good or Bad idea?????

Sponsored Links
ok thanks, in the information for these pushfit joints it says that they do not maintain earth continuity, and the joints will need to be bridged with a continuity strap.

Does the pipework from the hotwater tank, pump and cold water tank to the shower need to be earthed??

Sponsored Links
yes you do need to worry about that

(come on kev thanks to Tony blair and two pies prescott we are all sparkies now ;) )

and you sure bridge them out, makes em look like **** where you can see them, solder the stuff. have a practice you will soon get the knack

I've used the CuproFit ones from Screwfix in situations where soldering would be tricky/dangerous and where I couldn't get good access to use spanners on a compression joint (e.g. under a plastic bath). I found them quite easy to use, but note that the pipes must be really neatly cut and perfectly round or else they won't push in or will tear the O-ring (seal). The manufacturers talk about pushing-in with minimal force, but I found they need quite a hefty shove.

As others have said though, soldered joints are much nicer (and cheaper), and with practice aren't too tricky. Use the Yorkshire/solder-ring ones (pre-loaded with solder so one less thing to worry about), clean up the pipe ends & joints nicely, use the right kind of flux, don't blast them too fiercely with your blow torch (so that the flux burns off too soon), and make sure that the pipes haven't got any residual water in them, and you should be fine:cool:

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back