Toilet flushing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet (picture below) when flushed only uses about half of the water in the cistern and also the `flush` handle only comes returns halfway when flushed, the cistern is around 16 years old so I suspect it probably needs a new flushing unit, if so, is this easy enough to do ? Can anyone give me some instruction? I have another toilet in the house so not bothered if this one out of action for a few days while the job gets done.

TurkOct060075.jpg

Sponsored Links
You will have to take the cistern off to fit is (buy a new "rubber doughnut" washer too) but I like the "Flapper" valve. It has hardly any moving parts, so not much to go wrong, and gives a fast, full, flush.
p2938193_l.jpg

Others prefer the Variflush which is not as simple
p2635226_l.jpg

You may as well replace the ball valve while you're at it. I like the Torbeck which is very quiet and small,
p1720081_l.jpg

You can fit an equivalent new syphon and float valve, same as the old, if you prefer. The work will be about the same.

juco said:
The toilet (picture below) when flushed only uses about half of the water in the cistern and also the `flush` handle only comes returns halfway when flushed, the cistern is around 16 years old so I suspect it probably needs a new flushing unit, if so, is this easy enough to do ? Can anyone give me some instruction? I have another toilet in the house so not bothered if this one out of action for a few days while the job gets done.

TurkOct060075.jpg

Best advice would be to isolate the cold to your bog, buy new kit, study the insides of your toilet in conjunction with newly bought apparatus, fit isolation valve to cold supply to toilet so you can dismantle it, fit new flush, then isolate cold supply when leaking out all over floor. Then try again. Or pay plumber ;)

Bamber's done it before ;)

Good point about the isolation, i should have mentioned, these flexible connectors with built-in valve are great, as you can wiggle about instead of moving everything into perfect alignment before you can do it up (and if you go cross-threaded on that plastic spigot, it will never go right)

p1081010_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just a question that might hinder a little bit
Are the bolts underneath nice and rusty?

OK points noted but just to clarify....I cannot change the syphon/flush unit without detaching the cistern from the toilet bowl, is this correct?

The time you have spent asking questions and what hassle you will undertake when you try these things isn't it easier to get someone in????

sime10 what would be the point in that he can play about with it for few hours/days getting wet so next time he will be a pro and only get slightly wet! Saves paying someone £100 odd pounds to come and do it.

Nobody has any experience until after the first time.

Siphon devices are inherently fail-safe, ie if they break, water stops coming out of cistern. Flapper valves leak if they fail, and they can leak a lot before it's noticable. Not a problem if you don't have a water meter.

In answer to some of the replies....Yes I am inexperienced and yes I could pay a plumber but I want to learn some of the basics and save some money, I dont see any harm in trying to do these `repairs` for myself.
juco

100 quid....@ Welsh Prices :eek: I`m moving down there ........there`s gold in the valleys :LOL:

oilman said:
Siphon devices are inherently fail-safe, ie if they break, water stops coming out of cistern. Flapper valves leak if they fail, and they can leak a lot before it's noticable. Not a problem if you don't have a water meter.[/quote

Fabulous advice, next time I attend bog that wont flush properly I shall remember that advice then tell customer `it can`t be your siphon it`s failsafe Luv` ;)

Nige F said:
100 quid....@ Welsh Prices :eek: I`m moving down there ........there`s gold in the valleys :LOL:

I didn't quote any price if I did it wouldn't be anywhere near £100

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back