Toilet in A Shop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a small two-room retail shop I would like to rent out, however it does not have toilet facilities. Are toilet faciities required in a shop I will be letting out?

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Shops are required to provide toilets for staff - Offices Shops and Railway Premises Act.

AIUI if more than 5 staff are employed at the location then separate Male and Female toilets must be provided.

This is a matter for the employer, not the landlord. However without a toilet the premises cannot be run legally as a shop.

What have people done in the past - used a bucket?

It's actually covered in the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 ...... 1-5 people = 1 toilet and 1 wash basin.

This is for employer to provide, and IIRC it can be via a sharing arrangement with other businesses/premises if it is practical

It wont stop you renting the place, but the tenant will presumably want the terms and rent to reflect the condition of the let

Sponsored Links
Shops are required to provide toilets for staff - Offices Shops and Railway Premises Act.

What have people done in the past - used a bucket?

Haha!! No bucket necessary. There is a full kitchen and bathroom downstairs, which the ground floor shop has been using, but I was going to let out just the ground floor, without the downstairs.

Thanks for your replies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back