Toilet leak Problem

That sounds like the best plan

you have to take the cistern off the wall to do it. this is usually difficult because you find the screws have rusted into position and they are hard to get to and their heads have rounded off, and you can't cut off the water to the cistern.

So it would be worth buying a few stainless screw to put it back with, and a service valve as well for the supply pipe. I like the flexible braided connectors with valve incorporated, but some say that they can fail if at mains pressure.

If you are going to the trouble of taking the cistern off, make sure your syphon is in good condition, if not fit a new one to save having to take the cistern off again in the near future.

I am just a householder.

Sponsored Links
will attempt this some time over the weekend :D at the moment i got a bucket to fill and pour down toilet to flush as ive left the cistern drained.

Hopefully the screws should be ok as they ahvent beeen in that long.

Ive already got a shut down valve on the incoming water pipe to cistern so all is ok there.

Just hope this sorts it out this time

deanfleet said:
Hey everyone
Hey deanfleet.

Firstly, unless you hate anyone who's ever going to work on the cistern, take out the coloured block and never put it back.

What can i do to get a better seal around the toilet waste outlet? It just doesnt seem to have a good seal.
Buy a decent connector, like a MultiKwik. Avoid flexible connectors.

first i had a nasty £9 one from focus and then this one i got now was £20 i think
Oh good. I have some fivers here that I can sell you for a tenner each.

how much are the multikwik one and where can i get them from? not many big shops where i live
Start by measuring the outside diameter of your pan spigot. There are different sizes of pan connector and if you fit the wrong one then you'll have a leak.

JohnD said:
ensure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth and the pan/pipe are not moving
Yes! :)

fit it using the proper ?silicone? lubricant.
No! :(

deanfleet said:
What would i need to do now? is it a case of buying another Doughnut ring and installing that and putting it back together again and see how I get on...
Yes!

deanfleet said:
Ok as John mentioned ive investigated and it is indeed leaking from where the cistern connects to the toilet itself, so its coming from where the doughnut ring is as i can see all green inbetween there.

keep up, Softus.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
...Buy a decent connector, like a MultiKwik. Avoid flexible connectors.

...Start by measuring the outside diameter of your pan spigot. There are different sizes of pan connector and if you fit the wrong one then you'll have a leak.

etc

moved on since then.

JohnD said:
Softus said:
...Buy a decent connector, like a MultiKwik. Avoid flexible connectors.

...Start by measuring the outside diameter of your pan spigot. There are different sizes of pan connector and if you fit the wrong one then you'll have a leak.

etc

moved on since then.
The OP was using a coloured block, had removed a flexible pan connector, and considered fitting a poor quality one, and one that is possibly the wrong size, therefore all of my advice was pertinent. It has not "moved on", but a second problem is being discussed.

At the end of my first post I answered his most recent question, demonstrating that I was fully up to date, but you appear not to have read that yourself. I daresay that personal feelings may be colouring your otherwise sound judgment.

are you thinking of my preference for kittens, alpine flowers, sweetness and light and universal love, which leads me to comment unfavourably on grumpy posts?

thanks for all your help guys.

gonna nip to focus today and see what i can get hold of. Are rubber doughnut rings better than foam ones? cos its a foam one thats on there now

cheers

Focus?! You could do worse I suppose. Oh wait - no you couldn't.

I'd advise you to get a doughnut as near as possible to the one you removed, to avoid a change in height, unless all the other pipework can accommodate the difference. For example, do you have to match up the inlet and the overflow?

Sometimes it's better to use the original and just seal the faces with top quality (i.e. not Focus own brand) sanitary silicone sealant.

When it comes to keeping the cistern aligned with everything else, quality of ring is not nearly so important as shape and thickness.

I don't know what most plumbers do, but I carry every shape and size I can find, because not all merchants have all of them.

ok ill nip down to focus and see what they got, surely a foam easher is a foam washer, ill try and match it up with what i got

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back