Toilet leaking - easy repair?

M

m_ginty

Hi,
Just a quick question hopefully...
My toilet is leaking where the outflow of the toilet meets the soilpipe (around the U bend). I can't give much more of a description at present as I am at work however if a little sketch is needed I can do that.

I imagine the silicon has gone/ is going. Is the best way of doing this:
1) switch off water to cistern and flush thru excess.
2) once drained, remove old silicon and put new on
3) let dry and put more on.

Can I use just standard bathroom sealant?
Also, I may not be able to do this for a few days and while the leak isn't bad, I'd like to temporarliy stop it. How can I do this? With some tape?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Wc exhaust will meet soilpipe with cement, which you have to redo - nothing will stick cos its wet, or a proper connector. Replace proper connector with a new one if it's one which comes out(pushed in). If not then remove pan, clean everything, use no lube other than smear of vaseline or similar and replace. Shouldn't need silicone at all.

thanks CHrisR
Bit odd, I posted a reply but it's not here...
oh well.
Anyway, I don't think I explained it very well (wrong termininology I expect!) as there is no cement about.
The exhaust from the toilet connects into an r shaped tube. This r shaped tube then goes down into the floor which is fine. It's at the 'arm' of the r where it joins the exhaust that there is a leak. There is a connector of some sort and this has some sealant around it. This is what I was thinking of replacing. As I can't fo this for a few days, what can I do as a temp repair?
Or does your advice still stand?
slightly confused !

Buy a new P pan connecter and fit it.
You shouldn't need any silicone as the rubber seals make it watertight.
You can slide it up and down the fins to get correct height. If your toilet is not lined up properly you will need a multiquick :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back