Toilet is leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently installed a new toilet. Everything is fine apart from when the toilet is flushed it leaks.

It is a duel flush closed cistern toilet.

I initially thought the valves may be lose or the donut wasn’t secure enough therefore I put silicone around everything, inside the cistern and around the outside. The toilet still leaks when flushed.

It appears the water is coming from between where the cistern is secured to the bowl but the donut is fully secured and the screws securing the cistern are also sealed.

There are two inlet valve openings, obviously I am only using one and the water comes from the spare hole.

Everything has been tightened and sealed and I am at a loss as to how the water is coming out and what to do about it!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• BE6C88C8-5DB9-458B-91E7-25BB00FC1534.jpeg
    BE6C88C8-5DB9-458B-91E7-25BB00FC1534.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 414A5042-74C9-45F5-82CA-409EBFFB1DCC.jpeg
    414A5042-74C9-45F5-82CA-409EBFFB1DCC.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 5B20B026-DDB4-4FE5-BEE7-BC14FCDE1675.jpeg
    5B20B026-DDB4-4FE5-BEE7-BC14FCDE1675.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 262
  • A800F14D-8767-43B5-AC01-7A6CB8A50C5A.jpeg
    A800F14D-8767-43B5-AC01-7A6CB8A50C5A.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 278
Sponsored Links
Did you buy it online & did it come with clear assembly instructions or have you had to follow your logic?
Slightly puzzled by "two inlet valve openings" when I only see the one with the braided flexi attached and I see no signs of silicone everywhere in the photos plus why put silicone everywhere when you go on to say "water comes from the spare hole". Lastly was there any parts left over when it was assembled?

Put the rubber seal into the pan inlet ,if it drops all the way in ,and doesn't stick up around 20 mm it's too small. Buy a bigger seal ,or use putty to build up.

Did you buy it online & did it come with clear assembly instructions or have you had to follow your logic?
Slightly puzzled by "two inlet valve openings" when I only see the one with the braided flexi attached and I see no signs of silicone everywhere in the photos plus why put silicone everywhere when you go on to say "water comes from the spare hole". Lastly was there any parts left over when it was assembled?
The two holes in the pan JP ,for left or right side entry of float valve ,is where water drops out . The do nut isn't sealing. Take a look at the size and shape of the pan inlet ,looks massive. Pound to a penny the seal isn't compatible ,seen it loads of times.

Sponsored Links
The two holes in the pan JP ,for left or right side entry of float valve ,is where water drops out . The do nut isn't sealing. Take a look at the size and shape of the pan inlet ,looks massive. Pound to a penny the seal isn't compatible ,seen it loads of times.
Ah with you now, thanks.

When you've put the cistern down onto the inlet of the pan and tightened it, you haven't sat it square to the hole. You can see that by how misshapen the doughnut is.

You need a new doughnut and be very careful the way you sit it onto the base and tighten the screws down evenly. once that's done and the toilet's going back to the wall make sure the back of the cistern sits flush to the wall, don't 'lean' the cistern back 'off square' to make it touch the wall otherwise the doughnut will again be mishaped and will leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back