Toilet leaking Internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new toilet yesterday with a dual flush valve. There are no leaks externally but the water in the cistern is slowly leaking into the pan, resulting in the valve re-filling the cistern every so often.

How do I stop this? It's annoying hearing the trickle of water. I didn't use any sealant when I installed the valve... should I have and if so, what type and where do I put it??

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a new toilet yesterday with a dual flush valve. There are no leaks externally but the water in the cistern is slowly leaking into the pan, resulting in the valve re-filling the cistern every so often.

How do I stop this? It's annoying hearing the trickle of water. I didn't use any sealant when I installed the valve... should I have and if so, what type and where do I put it??

Many thanks for any help.

It sounds like the internal overflow, the valve just wants adjusting,

I don't think it is the internal overflow because I shut the water supply to the toilet off last night and when I looked in the cistern this morning all the water had gone.

Then it's either leaking past the seal in the flush valve or the seal in between the cistern and flush valve.

Sponsored Links
Depending on your flush valve, you may be able to remove the top section of the valve with a small turn. Check the sealing washer is ok and nothing is on the mating face of the bottom section of the flush valve (scratches, dents, debris..etc).

Thanks for that, it's a WDI flush valve. I managed to take the unit off by twisting it like you said. The seal looks perfect and the seat was clean, no grit or anything.

Now the valve is out the way I can see into the pan and the water is trickling into there. So it looks like I have a sealing problem around the valve.

The toilets I'm used to had the big metal plate which went over the valve base, the big rubber doughnut and two metal bolts going through to the pan. This one has no metal plate, doughnuts or metal bolts, instead it has a thick rubber washers which go either side of the cistern and plastic bolts and nuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back