Toilet making a strange (grinding?) noise after flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is getting worse (louder/more drawn out) but my wife isn't so convinced.
Pretty simple really - flush, wait a few seconds & then it starts making this weird noise.

Compared to the toilet at my mums, it just seems to take ages to fill up with water.
I took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQAEcQCNVE

I shot the bar reading on the boiler at the end for just in case purposes, even though it does it regardless of the bar reading.

Basically i'm wanting to know:

1) Why is it doing this?
2) How do you stop it doing this?

My guess is based on the luck we've had so far with this house & things that need doing, the entire toilet system & perhaps the entire water system will need ripping out, the house demolishing, us moving to another area & build it all over from scratch :cry: But hopefully not so bad.

NOTE: For those apprehensive about clicking on the link, don't be, there's no nasty surprises in the toilet for you :)

Sponsored Links
The washers perished. Turn water off, take washer out and refit new one.

the ball valve is worn out.

You are looking in the wrong place.

Open the cistern lid. Press the float down, release it, press it down, repeat until you get bored..

You can buy a new one, or rewasher the old, or fit a new quiet valve such as a Fluidmaster.

It is nothing whatsoever to do with the boiler. But if you turn on other taps in the house, the pressure on the float valve will reduce, and so the noise will too.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like water hammer.

Replace the bits inside the ball valve is the simplest solution. Will take all of five minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back