Strange mechanical toilet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After recently moving into my house I stupidly put a single face wipe down my toilet. It now makes a terrible sound whenever water is flushed down a drain anywhere in my flat.
This doesn't seem like an ordinary type toilet. Before my disaster whenever water was flushed there was a (quite loud) mechanical noise coming from below the toilet. It seems to be some kind of pump. Since I put a toilet wipe down there the noise has become more vicious, like grinding gears.
I have attempted to dissolve the face wipe using acid drain cleaners but that only seemed to make the problem worse.
Could anyone give me any idea what sort of system i'm dealing with or indeed how to fix the problem.

Many thanks,

itshutton

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a macerator, and these do not always deal well with face wipes and the like, they take wee, poo and loo roll and that's it. Your face wipe is probably stuck in there in which case the only option is to isolate the electrical supply and dismantle the macerator to clear the blockage. Acid cleaners may have done more damage however, and you might find you now need a new one. Dismantling and cleaning one of these is not for the faint-hearted, you'll need gloves and a poor sense of smell - macerators are essentially oversized kitchen blenders for poo.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back