Toilet not fixed to floor or wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bathroom replacement done six months ago and the toilet has just started wobbling. Have had a quick look / feel underneath and while there are bolts in the side of the toilet there don’t appear to be any fixing brackets on the other side so they’re not fixed to the floor. Have looked under the cistern lid and similarly two holes but no bolts. Looks like the whole thing is stuck on with a thin line of silicon which presumably has now shifted.

Is there a way I can fix this myself or should I be asking the company to come back? There’s nothing in my contract about warranty time and I’m kicking myself for not spotting it until now, although as the bolts are in I just assumed they were fixed to something! Is there anything in building or other rages re how a toilet should be fitted to the floor / wall?

Sponsored Links
Try contacting whoever fitted it but if their idea of 'fixed' is silicon don't hold your breath.
Is there a washbasin in there as well- be worth a look at the back of that to see if it's fixed properly or just bodged on.
Yes you can fix the loo down yourself but you mention brackets- if they are hidden fixings life may get tricky, a pic would be handy.
If it's a close-coupled loo (cistern fixed to the pot) and the floor is timber I use big soft rubber washers (tap washers are good with a large steel back washer) on the cistern fixings so if the floor is a bit bouncy the cistern-pot joint isn't being strained.
If you are fixing into walls/floors you need to know what's under the floor or hidden in the walls.....

If the pan has vertical sides and the fixing holes are on the vertical of the base then the pan needs to be lifted and L clamps secured to the floor, then the pan is secured onto them. The cistern then needs brass screws and plastic liners or rubber washers and then it's screwed to the wall.

Of course, that's all reliant on the floor and wall being relatively square to each other otherwise the cistern to pan fixings need loosened (close coupled) and then the fittings tightened and the fixings then taken up.

All in all, if you can get them back then that's the best option.

Sponsored Links
In the old days pans were cemented to the floor, now more times than not they are stuck using a mastic.

Thanks all, yes @Madrab it’s fixings into the vertical sides and while the bolts have been put through if I feel under the toilet there are no brackets so they’ve essentially just been put through loose and siliconed in so they don’t fall out. I’ve emailed the fitters so hopefully will hear back when the world is open again. Appreciate your help - good to know it’s not just me getting confused!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back