Toilet Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Whenever I turn the shower or bath tap on I get water flowing into my toilet (situated next to the bath) from the toilet cistern and that gives me less water pressure when using the shower. I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't know if it's the inlet or outlet valve that needs cleaning or replacing. I turned the shower on, took the lid off and noticed that the water starts going into the overflow pipe even if the white plastic thing on the inlet valve is not pressed down. As seen in the photos, the water level always sits quite high in the cistern, just below the overflow pipe. I'm assuming it should normally be lower?

Any ideas? Also, is it ok to try and fix it without turning the water off? I presume it's the brass tap in my photo which is positioned at the right of the toilet near the back, but it's stuck. If I use a wrench would it be clockwise or anticlockwise to turn the water off? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240108_150740.jpg
    20240108_150740.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240108_150754.jpg
    20240108_150754.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240108_151042.jpg
    20240108_151042.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
1. Much more likely to be the inlet valve. Particularly since the water is reaching the overflow level.
2. Do not attempt to fix it without isolating the water supply, except as at 5. below
3. If the brass tap in your photograph is connected to the inlet valve, i.e. directly connected to or connected via a short length of pipe or flexi hose to the threaded shank of the inlet valve which protrudes below the cistern, then that is the isolation valve. Shut it off, flush the WC and see if it refills. If it doesn't, then that is the valve. However, it is unusual to have that type of valve on a WC.
4. If looking at the tee handle of the tap end on, it would be clockwise to close and ant-clockwise to open the valve.
5. As a first step I would adjust the water level by turning the cross head in the white plastic screw which adjusts the height of the float. Left of the picture, blue green circular cap with a white strip at about 4 o'clock. White strip has an oval cut out. Adjustment screw roughly in centre of cut out. Can't tell you which way to turn it as some are right hand thread, others left hand. What you want is for the float (oval blue green plastic inside outer blue green plastic) to go further down. In that way it won't rise as far as water enters before operating the valve mechanism under the round blue / green cap. You don't need to turn the water off to do this, but you might feel more comfortable with it off.
6. As a second step:
6.1. Turn the water to the cistern off.
6.2 Under the round blue / green cover there will be a rubber diaphragm washer. These go hard over time and cease to work properly. You can almost certainly replace it, but would need to know the make and model of the inlet valve to obtain a replacement, and hopefully to find out how to remove the cover.
7. If the problem persists, replace the whole inlet valve:
7.1. Turn the water to the cistern off, flush the WC and sponge out any remaining water form the cistern.
7.2 Remove the cistern from the bowl:
7.2a Remove the screws securing the cistern to the wall. They look rusty and may break. If so, try and leave at least 6mm of the top of the screw sticking out of the wall and remove later with grips.
7.2b Remove the screw securing the cistern to the bowl. These are white plastic screws with rubber washers. One is visible just about under the overflow pipe. To get at the other you may need to remove the outlet valve. These are usually on a bayonet type fitting. Turn about 1/8 turn anti-clockwise (looking down) and lift out.
7.2c Undo the tap connector attaching the pipework to the threaded shank of the inlet valve.
7.2d Lift the cistern off the bowl. There will be a large rubber "doughnut" washer between cistern and bowl.
7.3. You will need to source
7.3a A new doughnut washer
7.3b A new inlet valve. Go for one with a brass threaded shank as there is less chance of cross threading the tap connector nut on reassembly. My preference is the Fluidmaster Pro, but check first that it will fit. If not, try the Viva Skylo 1/2" (normal UK size) brass threaded one.
7.3c I would recommend replacing the cistern to bowl screws (7.2b above) with stainless steel ones..
7.3d I would also advise replacing the screws attaching the cistern to the wall with equivalent sized brass ones, and fitting rubber washers (1/2" tap washers are ideal) between the screws and the cistern inner.
7.3e A couple of 1/2" fibre tap connector washers. (They often come in 5 or 10 packs. A decent plumbers merchant will sell you one, or probably give it to you if you buy the rest of the bits from them).
7.4 Remove the old inlet valve by undoing the (usually) white plastic nut under the cistern.
7.5 Fit the new inlet valve loosely. It will probably come with a cone shaped rubber washer. This goes inside the cistern, with the small side of the cone going into the hole in the cistern. Screw the white plastic nut onto the threaded shank of the cistern, but don't tighten it.
7.6 Fit the new doughnut washer, put the cistern back in place and fit the new cistern to bowl securing screws. Tighten these screws a little at a time and evenly, so that the cistern remains level. They should be pretty tight when complete, so that the rubber washers are slightly compressed and watertight.
7.7 Screw the cistern to the wall, but leave slightly loose.
7.8 Make sure any remains of the old tap connector fibre washer are remove from the tap connector, and screw the tap connector loosely onto the threaded shank. At least 3 or 4 turns on.
7.9 Do up the white nut securing the threaded shank to the cistern fairly firmly.
7.10 Tighten the screws securing the cistern to the wall. They should be tight enough to prevent movement between wall and cistern, but not overly tight.
7.11 Tighten the tap connector nut onto the the threaded shank finger tight, then tighten the securing nut (7.9) firmly, making sure the inlet valve does not twist within the cistern and finally secure the tap connector nut. Firm finger tight plus half a turn should do it.
7.12 If removed, replace the flush valve.
7.13 Turn the water on and let the cistern fill. It should stop filling when the water level reaches a height mark on the cistern back. This should leave it about 20 to 25 mm below the overflow pipe.

Thanks pal, that's a very comprehensive answer! Tomorrow I'll have a go at adjusting the white plastic crosshead screw and see what happens. Otherwise I'll try and get to the diaphragm washer. I certainly hope I don't need to remove the whole cistern and valve, it seems a bit fiddly and I don't have another toilet to use if I leave myself stranded with a disconnected cistern and broken rusty screws, lol.

That brass tap I think controls the toilet, bath and sink. It's connected to a brass pipe coming up from the floor so it must be the main water inlet pipe for the whole bathroom. I had a feel behind the toilet and could feel some flexi pipes but I didn't feel any valves to turn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back