Toilet sealant?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess this fits under plumbing. the toilet in our wetroom gets really grubby around the base. Should it have sealant around it?

Sponsored Links
Yes, sanitary silicone which has anti fungal properties.

really grubby around the base
What do you actually mean grubby? Can it not be cleaned/mopped? Also shooting straight sometimes helps ;)

Some like a line of silicone around the bottom of a toilet, some don't.

Well the toilet in the main bathroom is close fitting to the vinyl floor so just gets wiped. The wetroom toilet has a more pronounced gap but goes grubby from the shower water. I keep having to bleach around the base as the mop doesn't get in the gap.

Sponsored Links
I would definitely suggest sealing the base of the toilet, you don't want water getting underneath it on a regular basis. Ideally you should remove the WC first to clean and dry before refitting and sealing the base.

Is there any sort of solid sealant instead of the dreaded silicon? Like a tape or something? I' sure I saw an ad for some somewhere or I may have dreamt it

There isn't really a bespoke seal you can get for the bottom of the toilet. Maybe just use clear silicone to just fill the gap flat to the pan, as against creating a fillet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back