Sealants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of jobs on the agenda and I wanted to make sure I was using the best sealant for the job.

1) Replacing a toilet which will need sealing around the base, between the pan and floor tiles. I believe the floor tiles are standard ceramic floor tiles.

2) Re-sealing between the kitchen worktop and the upstand, as the existing sealant is pealing off. Both the worktop and upstand are laminated chipboard.

I assume a standard sanitary sealant such as Dow 785+ or 785N is appropriate for both jobs?

What's the difference between 785+ and 785N and which is best for these jobs?

Sponsored Links
785+ is a sealant that cures with the release of acetic acid, hence the vinegar smell.....785N is the acrylic variant.
I prefer the + as it cures a little quicker but they are first class products and an excellent choice......the + is more difficult to remove so its best to get it right first time!
John :)

785+ is a sealant that cures with the release of acetic acid, hence the vinegar smell.....785N is the acrylic variant.

John :)
Neutral curing silicone, John. I like that type myself because it sticks to uPVC and the acetic stuff don't;)

Sponsored Links
Neutral curing silicone, John. I like that type myself because it sticks to uPVC and the acetic stuff don't;)
That's interesting, I wondered why I'd had issues with the 785+ sticking to uPVC in the past yet sealants used by other people seemed fine!

Would the N variant stick better to the laminate worktops? Is there any downside to using the N over the + for sealing the toilet to the floor tiles?

Once I found out about neutral curing I never went back ! The only downside, possibly is it sets harder than acetoxy, not a lot but if you set out to want to re do it later for some reason, I guess the acetic stuff might be better .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back