Toilet seat driving me spare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

When I moved into my council house i thought Id get a decent Toilet seat, now im on my second new Toilet seat and about to buy a third one as they keep moving and getting wrecked by the Kids. Problem I have is the Pan of the Toilet isnt flat! and the majority of the seat doesn't touch the Toilet. Whats even more stupid is the mounting holes arnt even Flat :evil:

Im about to buy another seat...so can anyone give me some advice as to what I can do to stop the seat from wriggling them selfs apart

neil

Sponsored Links
Is it the plastic hinges that break? You can buy replacements without needing a new seat. I have not seen metal brackets and hinges on sale, but they are sometimes fitted (brass) on expensive seats. Are you sure you are tightening the hinges well when you fit them?

Are your family very heavy, or is there something interesting they can see by standing or jumping on the seat?

It is possible to attach a soft rubber pad to the underside of the seat, but these tend to fall off and get flushed away. I suppose if you had a wooden seat it might be possible to screw a spacer underneath. IIRC wooden seats come with rubber pads and you might be able to pack out or shave down these pads.

The hinges are metal...On this perticular seat the screws that go into the seat from the hinges have suffered, but this is due to the crappy screws that you tighten for the adjustable hinge spacing continuously working loose! hence the seat moving and putting preasure on the hinges I also do the nuts up with Plyers so they are definately Tight!

The problem is with my youngest getting on and off the toilet with a slidey motion :rolleyes: and plus the Toilet not having a square/flat edge anywhere for everything to grip properly.

What makes it more annoying is the cheap plastic seat that was on it originally was perfect and never had a problem with it :rolleyes:

If only the back pads touch the pan, any weight on the seat will put an upward load on the hinges of maybe three or four times the weight on the seat, tearing them loose. A cheap plastic seat would probably flex, so that load isn't a problem then.

If the pads under the front of the seat don't rest on the pan try putting some packing pieces between the hinge mountings and the pan, adjusting until the load is distributed as evenly as possible on the pads, with no load on the hinges..

Materials? - something like plastic 'penny washers' would be about right. Don't use metal washers - they will probably corrode very quickly.

You may be able to salvage some from the old seat or cut your own.

Some seat hinges are adjustable for height, and need setting appropriately so the hinges aren't loaded when it's in use.

Sponsored Links
if the pan got broken the council would have to renew it :?: I`ve never lived in a council house or done anything like that :LOL: :LOL:

if the toilet seat is broken and youve thrown it away :eek: the council will still have to replace it providing it isnt your own :cry: but youve thrown it and they cant see it ;) when they fit it and it breaks they fix it again and again, if the pan is at fault or the cause of the problem they will then change it.

but just for the record to eliminate fitting error which you can go that far wrong with them, i would let council fit one and keep it for now when you kids are a bit older and slidding on/off maybe then look at diyin it.

another alternative would be to get yourself a new seat, let council come out and say here mate any chance of fitting this one instead after raising concern about the pan and whether its level... a nice brew or a bit of leg will do they guy. :eek: :D :D :D :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back