Toilet vent into attic?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah they are a member of the NHBC, no way I'd of purchased if not. They've fixed all the other issues without any problem and generally to a good level. I just wish they'd of taken more care and pride when fitting things the first time.

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

Hoping this is the right section and not roofing...

We recently moved into a new build house. I finally got chance to have a look in the attic the other day and I'm a little confused.

The thing is, they don't seem to vent out the roof? There is a white pipe popping up and a sellotaped top:

[]

I'm going to ask them about the sellotaped bit as it looks like a bodge job, ]
All they have done is sellotape the polystyrene cover onto the AAV - the cover is there to stop any water freezing inside the AAv - that would stop it working - So they have actually done a better job than if they just left the poly cover pushed on , waiting to be dislodged ;)

Hiya,

Hoping this is the right section and not roofing...

We recently moved into a new build house. I finally got chance to have a look in the attic the other day and I'm a little confused.

The thing is, they don't seem to vent out the roof? There is a white pipe popping up and a sellotaped top:

[]

I'm going to ask them about the sellotaped bit as it looks like a bodge job, ]
All they have done is sellotape the polystyrene cover onto the AAV - the cover is there to stop any water freezing inside the AAv - that would stop it working - So they have actually done a better job than if they just left the poly cover pushed on , waiting to be dislodged ;)

I'm with Nige on this, a lot of people just throw the poly packaging away, it is designed to be fitted onto the AAV when installed to prevent moisture freezing onto the rubber seals and not allowing it to admit air into the system.

It may look "bodged" but all they have done is use some tape to ensure that other trades following them don't knock it off and loose it.

Hmm sounds good! hopefully thats the case. Is the grey bit the actual aav? or would it be under the white bit?

Sponsored Links
Yes the grey bit you can see is the AAV, this pushes into the soil pipe and has rubber fins that seal to the internal of the pipe.
The poly cover has been taped on to prevent it being knocked off, might not look pretty but perfectly ok, this keeps it working in freezing weather.

Awesome. Just been up the attic properly and it is indeed polystyrene :) Unfortunately found another chipped tile but thats another story. Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back