Toilet waste pipe connector disaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my friend has a slight issue with his toilet. It's a student house he just bought. It's leaking from the soil pipe connector. The black pipe is 110mm and doesn't have a push fit into the grey pipe. Even if it did it wouldn't fit as the grey pipe is about 120mm. It does not have an air tight seal it's just hanging in there. Also you can probably see from the picture either the grey pipe is too high or the toilet is too low. Is there any way to fix this without getting a toilet with a higher outlet or lowering the grey pipe? Could I use one of those pan connector with extendable hose and push it a good few inch's down the grey pipe and then seal with silicone sealant or some special type of sealant/cement?

20230103_152134.jpg

Thanks for any help any one can offer.

Sponsored Links
That does look like an offset pan connector has been used and it is upside down.

The black ribbed bit isn't pipe, its a rubber grommet that is supposed to be inserted all the way into the grey pipe, so it's also too short.

The grey pipe should be lower than the toilet pan stub, as yours isn't perhaps you could use a flexible pan connector like below, and bin the offset joint you have:

Flexible connector

I prefer McAlpine brand, but they are more expensive than the one above.

You could cut the grey pipe back to lower it, but probably not worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
If you measure from the floor to the underside of the grey pipe ,but right back by the wall, that's the lowest point. Then compare that to the measurement from floor to WC pan outlet .you may find that the grey pipe at that low point to be close to the height of the pan outlet ,and may allow you to connect up better.

The black ribbed bit isn't pipe, its a rubber grommet that is supposed to be inserted all the way into the grey pipe, so it's also too short.

The grey pipe should be lower than the toilet pan stub, as yours isn't perhaps you could use a flexible pan connector like below, and bin the offset joint you have:

Flexible connector

I prefer McAlpine brand, but they are more expensive than the one above.

You could cut the grey pipe back to lower it, but probably not worth the effort.
Thanks I will get a McAlpine as I've heard they are good. And I'll go ahead and trim the grey pipe back a bit to level it out.

Yup +1, looks like it may work with the grey soil pipe cut back closer to the wall and then an extended straight pan connector or flexi used to then fit to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back