Toilet-Where's the Water Coming From?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted a few days ago under "Toilet-Food Color Test". Emptied the toilet tank and bowl but when I woke up the next morning, both were full. The only way I can prevent this from happening again is to turn the water off in the house. By the way, there's a toilet in half-bath almost directly under this toilet.

Plumber is coming out for the clogging problem. :cry:

Sponsored Links
practigal said:
Posted a few days ago under "Toilet-Food Color Test". Emptied the toilet tank and bowl but when I woke up the next morning, both were full. The only way I can prevent this from happening again is to turn the water off in the house. By the way, there's a toilet in half-bath almost directly under this toilet.

Plumber is coming out for the clogging problem. :cry:
What`s a food colour test :?: :LOL: Us Brits don`t have such things.tho` I`ve heard the Germans examine their stools before flushing :eek: I Haven`t a clue what you`re on about :LOL: and I`ve been plumbing since 1970 in the UK .

To find out if you have a toilet leak, place food coloring in the toilet tank and if the coloring is winds up in the toilet bowl after awhile, you know you have a leak.

From what I have seen of "Septic Tank" tanks I assume the cistern (top tank) refills automatically, so you're testing to see if the flap valve (flush valve) is constantly passing water into the pan.

It could be you're a Septic Tank in the UK, testing on a UK WC with internal overflow, in this case the possible mains pressure to the cistern is overfilling the cistern so that the pan constantly fills.

In each case sort out the cistern filling device, then sort out the flush valve, or the problem will go away with the internal overflow type.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back