Stop foul water from coming back in ground level WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to change the WC, as part of a bathroom re-fit. We have a problem with the current toilet that I would like to eradicate at the same time. As the toilet is on the ground floor, when we have periods of heavy rain the water level in the toilet bowl rises. Is there any type of non-return valve I can install to prevent this happening?

Each time we have heavy rain the toilet starts to make glugging sounds and then the water level starts to rise with foul water coming back into the bowl - as you can imagine I want to rectify this during fitting the new toilet. The existing toilet is close coupled with a white waste pipe (like an upside down L shape) that comes out and connects into a brown waste pipe under the floor.

Any help with what I should do is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lianne

Sponsored Links
The water level shouldn't rise except in the event of a blockage :confused: .

I would investigate possible blockage and also make sure the vent is allowing air into the sewers.

Hi Bahco,

there is definitely no blockage, I have just cleaned them thoroughly with drain rods. Where would I find the air vent? I live in a bungalow and the toilet / bathroom is the original configuration from when I moved in. I can't see any type of vent!!

Lianne

Follow the soil pipe up to the roof - the top is where you'll be finding the vent. If there is a fat a7sed pigeon sitting on it airing its backside get a BB gun from the local chavs and give a :eek: :!: ;)

Sponsored Links
You may share a vent pipe/soil pipe with your neighbour. Have a look.

Your problem can only be down to a blockage or lack of venting which is preventing proper drainage.

just a thought, what he have no soil stack (i know he should) or how about one of them auto air vent thingys (technical term)

Thanks for all your help so far, from your comments it appears it is probably a venting problem. There isn't a soil pipe on the outside of the bungalow and we are detached, so it doesn't connect to a neighbours pipe. The soil pipe comes out of the back of the toilet into a white upside down L shaped pipe which goes directly into a brown soil pipe in the floor. which goes straight down into the floor just behind the toilet. I am assuming this then runs under the path to a man hole in the garden. I can't see any type of vent mechanism.

What can I do to install such a thing - what is an auto air vent?

Thanks again, Lianne

I got the wrong word :oops: ( i am not a plumber) its an air admitance valve

this is one

p44308_x.jpg

from here

other suppliers of these are available

aparently it only opens when you flush the loo, and it sucks air in, so it does not let smells out

Hi Breezer,

thanks for that, just one question where do I fit something like that? Would it be at the point where the whit soil pipe goes into the brown?

Lianne

not being a plumber (i learnt about them on these forums) i think it goes on a vertical pipe that is as close to the toilet outlet as possible.

you have to fit the vertical pipe too

best wait to see if i am right

you may want to read this old post

Even though you are not a plumber it is certainly a valid solution. I am definitely not a plumber, but after employing a 'professional' at my previous home, I would rather try and do this myself - he even left a butter tub with a rag in to collect drips under the bath, this was discovered when I was fitting a new bath panel - it is people like this who give true professionals a bad name.

I agree it sounds like a lack of venting may be exacerpating the problem, but there may also be a blocked, dropped or broken drain at the root of it.

Trouble with an air admittance valve, is it only allows air into the drain. A vent stack will allow air in and out.

If the OP's problem is waste coming back up the soil pipe, that implies an increase in pressure in the drain which an air admittance valve isn't going to do much for, unless a partial vacuum has been stopping the waste draining away, causing a blockage somewhere.

Sometimes there used to be low level vents from drains that can end up buried in gardens etc. so not fulfilling their function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back