Toilet Wont Flush

S

Shutpa

The handle on our close-coupled toilet lies in a vertical instead of horizontal position. The toilet can flush but only after pumping the handle up and down. The unit inside is blue with a tall pipe and egg-shaped cap on the left, and a lower rectangular reservoir(?) to the right.

Any help in rectifying the fault would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a new syphon for the toilet as the old one has split which is why you have to pump it .
If your lucky some of these come in 2 pieces and can be replaced without removing the toilet cistern.
Can you see the make of it anywhere?

If your lucky some of these come in 2 pieces and can be replaced without removing the toilet cistern.

It was one piece and I have bought and fitted a new one. However, water is leaking from the junction of the pan and the cistern. I did fit the rubber washer on the inside, and I did tighten the large nut securing the siphon to the cistern base so I'm not quite sure where the water is leaking from. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that Bahco. I followed these instructions to the letter (including the doughnut washer) but I still have that drip, drip, drip.

Edit: Delboy(Feb 1, 2007, 11.44pm) appeared to have the same problem. If the leak is from the doughnut washer, can I apply mastic or some other sealant? The bolts securing the cistern to the base are external ie they do not pass through the cistern base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back