Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my toilet is acting weird, after I flush the toilet, the water loads back to the tank normally but keeps on loading and not stopping going over the line limit, I've draw an arrow of the part when it's keep dripping the water

fe436dcc0d.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try adjusting the little plastic threaded bolt and nut next to where the water is coming out first. If that doesn't work you need a new float valve.

Try adjusting the little plastic threaded bolt and nut next to where the water is coming out first. If that doesn't work you need a new float valve.
How do I adjust the plastic screw? Just twist it until it locks?

Loosen off the little nut and screw in the rod a little. They normally have a little slot for a screw driver.

If this doesn't work, you could try taking the valve apart, some grit may have got in there or the washer may be worn which is a cheap repair

Sponsored Links
Just replace the whole inlet. Should not cost more than £15.00.

get a fluidmaster ball valve unit,i have them fitted where ever i have to live.

Very nice units.

I can't see for the life of me see why you would replace the whole valve when a change washer/ maintenance could fix it

It's like changing a car because you have got a flat tyre

Loosen off the little nut and screw in the rod a little. They normally have a little slot for a screw driver.

If this doesn't work, you could try taking the valve apart, some grit may have got in there or the washer may be worn which is a cheap repair
I've tried to loosen off the nut but it doesn't do anything,

I've no experience of taking the valve apart

Just replace the whole inlet. Should not cost more than £15.00.
I've no experience of replacing the whole inlet

get a fluidmaster ball valve unit,i have them fitted where ever i have to live.

Very nice units.
What does the fluidmaster ball valve unit do?

If you flush the toilet, and then lift the ball valve up and and down, you will wee that there is a rod that acts upon a pin.

If you follow the rod back to the valve you will see a small nut.

Loosen the nut a little

This will allow you to then screw the rod closer to the pin

Then re tighten the little nut

This will allow the ball valve to excert more pressure on the pin and thus may stop your drip/ overflow

This is an easy thing to try.

Before you take the valve appart, you must first turn off the water.
I will give you more help if you want to try this.

If you look up maintaining a ball valve or changing a washer, you may find pictures on the net, or in a DIY book

But from Your post, I would suggest trying to alter the rod, and if that doesn't work, call a plumber/ handyman

A fluid master is a brand of toilet filler, they are quitter in operation to your ball valve

It's easy to instsll, but repairing your ball valve would take the same effort, skill level and cost less

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back