Tongue And Groove Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am planning to half clad my kitchen wall with these

https://www.haldane-fisher.com/timb...dwood_tgv_sheeting_8_x_89mm__tr008089tgv.html

They state that they are suitable for interior and exterior use. I have my battens on the wall and plan to prime the boards with Zinsser before painting as I know there will be plenty of knots. I have never cladded before and was just wondering if there are any best practises in terms of expansion gaps? I mean should I leave a gap at each end to allow for slight expansion? Should I be butting the tongue and groove tight or leave a little gap for expansion? Just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
There is already an expansion gap built in to the groove.

Softwood is very unstable in terms of humidity expansion and contraction, so the important thing would be to ensure that the cladding is acclimatised and dry when fitted so that it expands later on, not shrinks after fitting.

Thanks. Was actually thinking of getting some 8mm 8x4 MDF sheets routed instead would be a lot simpler to install and wouldn’t have to worry about loads of knots and sap.

Sponsored Links
Try to get MR-MDF if you can - it is more resistant to moisture, routs cleaner (better profile definition - less woolly) and always seems to paint out bettet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back