Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a house and it has:

- double doors at the front
- double doors at the back of the living room
- double doors from the conservatory
- single door from the kitchen

The double doors have two keyed-alike locks. This means a total of four different keys for the exterior doors, which is a bit overwhelming.

Is it possible to get seven/eight locks that are keyed-alike or am I stuck with having to color-code keys, etc?

Thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
Very possible indeed, get in touch with king solutions 029 2077 9212 and explain what you want.

yes very easy DIY job to measure and fit them (see here on how to do it)
http://www.handlestore.com/info/upvc-door-cylinders/

I would recommenced trying to get the locks locally though from a lock smith or double glazing company. I say this as I changed a bunch for a customer a few years ago and one of the locks kept failing. It was a P.I.T.A trying to get my supplier to sort a replacement. It would have been much easier to walk to a local shop and give them some grief rather than the dozens of phone calls and emails to get a distant supplier to sort it.

lol Just realized the link I gave you was were I got the locks I had trouble with. Not their fault as they are just a shop who buy in the stock, It was their supplier who they have since stopped using. However their guide for measuring and fitting is fine

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I called King Solutions and what they do is disassemble the locks and change the pins to match a specific key.

That doesn't seem to be something that can be DIYed.

Andy

The measuring/ordering and fitting can be DIY'ed. Obviously if your having your old locks re-keyed that's another matter.

To be honest I would be looking to upgrade your locks at the same time.
Unless you told your window/door supplier that money was no object or they specifically quoted for good security locks you will probably find they are cheap £5 jobbys from China that could be bypassed in seconds by someone who knows what they are doing.

You should be looking for anti bump, anti pick, anti drill and snap proof locks. Thinking about it the locks on the French door slaves could be a little tricky for you to change your self so it may be worth getting someone in.

There was a post here recently about changing locks on french doors if you do want to do it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back