Tool advice - boarding loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just after some advice. I'm continuing to board my loft and need to do the following:

1) cut some 2x4 timber (I'm making my own, much cheaper versions of those loft legs)

2) cut the boards so that they fit neatly around hangers and various pipes around the water tank.

I was going to get a cheap floorboard cutter but have heard they're a bit tedious to use for big jobs and unfortunately I've dropped my circular saw and bent the guide so I can't cut anything straight any more. I'd borrowed a jigsaw but this takes so long to cut the boards it's not great.

Do people rate the mini circular saws and, if so, could recommend a (reasonably cheap) model? I'm assuming I could do pretty much all of the above with it rather than buying several tools.

any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For jigging round abutments use a jig saw.
For ripping use a circular saw - or a hand saw with the boards on trestles.

They are for cutting the tongue in T&G boards - the traditional cutters (Monument Tools) were slow and cumbersome.
You can now get a variety - google them.
But the OP's using sheets of chipboard so typically no need for them.

Sponsored Links
I use one of these where I can, much prefer it over the proper circular saw.

20200308_110933.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back