Tool for cutting up big stones in my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I also need to cut up some big stones in my garden to take down the dump.
Is there an easy/safe way to do this?

Cheers
Paul S

Sponsored Links
I wonder what size is "big."

You do mean stones, not concrete?

No stones I don't have a photo but they are about 1foot by 1 foot I could move them into a wheelbarrow and then transfer them into my car.
But my arms are very skinny lol and I like my back :)

If they're too thick to break with a club hammer and bolster, can you afford a budget SDS+ drill?

A cheap one will do if you don't expect to use it much. About £60 would do, but for £70 you can get a bundled kit with enough drills and chisels. You can turn off the rotation of the drill and it will drive a chisel tool. Cheap ones tend to be quite heavy, which will be suitable for this job. If you buy the tool and steels separately it will cost more.

For example I got the Titan kit from here
http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/drills/cat830818#category=cat830818&brand=titan&sort_by=price
If it goes wrong, take it back. This is a cheap one but they have a good guarantee so you should get your money's worth if you buy it when you are ready to start work. They are usually on offer.

Sometimes Aldi, Lidl and other sheds have something similar. With cheap tools a good replacement guarantee is I think a great comfort.

You will need eye and ear protection.

Sponsored Links
I've sold large stones on eBay before now as well as giving some away on freecycle . Much better than smashing them to bits and dumping them.

Use an angle grinder for both jobs, with different blades.

There are a few cheap ones out there under £20, some are half as powerful again, so get the biggest wattage you can.

As Ladylola says, sell them.
Or even give them away but buyer collects. A lot on if they are brf council tips are now introducing charges for rubble, plasterboard, concrete etc so they may actually levy a charge to you even if they are broken up.

Back