tool for wingnut taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had no success trying to turn a wingnut on the right under side of a close-coupled WC to separate the pan and cistern. There's no room for a spanner without cracking the pan (which i've already done). There isn't really any room to fit anything on the other side of the wingnut against the pan (e.g. to use a couple of pieces of wood to turn it). I've put on penetrating oil and fruitlessly searched for a specific wingnut tool (there's one available in the U.S. but the company have ignored my e-mails asking to buy it). Close-coupled WCs seem to be the most common type type these days so I wonder what people use to turn stiff wingnuts other than sawing off the bolt altogether.

Thanks

pete

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, if you can't find a dedicated tool, try a music shop. For guitars you can buy what is called a "peg winder", used to quickly wind up pegs when fitting new strings. Guitar pegs can be the size of an average toilet wingnut, bigger with a bass.

Hope you manage to get those wingnuts undone, working with toilets is always a bit of a grim job in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
I have a deep socket, inside the socket is filled with 2mmdia spring loaded rods, when pushed over nuts,wing nuts,worn nuts etc the rods retract or stay in posistion and form the shape of that particular part you are trying to unscrew

Should work perfect in your situation with a 12" extension and ratchet.

Normally they're rusted on - hacksaw through topside, or a bit of copper pipe with a slot cut across the end will do it sometimes. I can't see the plastic tool being any good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back