New Cistern on Close Coupled Toilet Leaking - Bolts?

I have installed plenty of these without leaks just put a couple of winds of ptfe tape to 1/2 way down the bolt then tighten untill washer is compressed, I also put a couple of winds of tape on the syphon or flush valve thread as well.

Alan

Sponsored Links
I would like to share my experience with frustrated DIY plumbers everywhere.My donut was worn away causing the system to leak.It was dripping down the bolts that secure the cistern and pan together.I was unable to get an exact match for my old donut and bought a fits all donut that was thinner.I did not think this would make any difference but believe me it does! After a lot of struggling I cured the problem by fitting two donuts one on top of the other.The shape of the pan was not allowing enough compression of the thinner donut.As soon as there was more thickness hey presto, no more leaks and no need for Silicone or other bodging material.Happy plumbing!

Quote "Bathstore supplied replacement cistern bolts (exactly the same type as old ones) and these leaked too."

"Not happy that the poor tolerance/quality ceramics on this WC from Bathstore has caused so much hassle and lost time... if it had been a £59 Toilet to go I'd perhaps have thought I got what I deserved but almost £200 should have bought a decent one."

There's a lesson there! This establishment is not known in the trade for the installer-friendly quality of its products.

The words overpriced, designer and crepe come to mind.

Well done for sorting it.

Sponsored Links
You sure it's not leaking past the doughnut and just looks as if it is coming from the bolts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back