Leaking close coupled pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spent a couple of hours trying to stop the newly installed close coupled pan from leaking.
It is leaking where the cistern fits on the top of the pan.
I have tried tightening and untightening the connecting bolts thru the cistern into the pan, to no avail.
Seems now that the actual rubber grommet between pan and cistern is at fault. I have checked that it isnt getting pinched, and have loose fitted it, by just sitting it in the flush hole, as well as actually putting it on the bottom of the flush valve.....HELP
WHAT TO TRY NEXT????

Sponsored Links
Hi

Its important with close coupled toilets that the cistern sits upright on the pan putting equal pressure on the grommet.

Make sure the pan is not partially blocked backing up the water.
Also the grommet is the right way round some don't have a right and wrong some do.

While its apart make sure the internal parts are tight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that...maybe the cistern is being pushed forward from the wall, so will try wedging it upright a bit next time.
The grommet only has one way as far as I can see, but will double check it. Damned well sealed pan down now and can see that I will have to cut it and re-try :confused:

Could be a poorly made pan.
There are different types of seal too, check with the retailer that you have the correct one.
Try adding LOTS of silicone sealant :!: :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
I Had a simular problem.I dought spare 'Doughnut' washer, there were 2 types, the first was a firm rubber one, tried to fit that but it was too firm and it caused the leak to be worse, the other one was a round fibre type and that did the trick,I also removed the silver plate that holds the screws for the wingnuts to go on, this was fairly rusty, so scrapped of rust from bottom of cistern and the plate and re-fitted, I did think about replacing the plate, but with the old plate the bots went through holes, so they kept in place, all the new ones I looked at had slots and I thought the bolts would just slip out.

It was a hard job getting it sorted, so good luck.

Steve

Another hour of fiddling with snap off wedges and still no luck. Am gonna try the new donut thing tomorrow...then out comes the sealant.
It only seems to leak when I flush, so the holes where it holds cistern to the pan are keeping tight....just the washer thingy that this one has around the bottom of the flush pipe that fits (or doesnt) into the flush hole in the pan.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back