Toothing in below dpc and other questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im starting on a large front and rear and loft conversion extension on my bungalow/house 100sqm of new brickwork, got the footings dug had visit from building inspector all ok but he just didn't seem interested or helpful.
justing trying to get my head around a few points, perhaps someone can help or give idea if sounds correct. I have a builder but just wanted to check if were doing it correct.

1) the footings are dug 1m below ground or there abouts plan on trench filling 800mm which will leave 7 courses to current dpc, plan is to use 1 block and 2 courses to concrete level then 2 courses which will be insulation, underfloor heating, and screen to dpc does that sound correct?

2)on new walls that run in line with old im planing to tooth in the brick (i think it looks neater) but do i need to do this below dpc or could i use firfix up to dpc/?

3) new walls that run a right angles to old i plan on using firfix, should be ok?

4) the internal blockwork fixed with firfix to old.

5) the bungalow has 75mm cavity the new rooms will have 100mm cavity but were addin 2m to lounge how do we get the internal wals run in line
or could we do a 75mm cavity on the 2 new walls and 100mm on the new front wall?

Any help will be great
thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
)1. the footings are dug 1m below ground or there abouts plan on trench filling 800mm which will leave 7 courses to current dpc, plan is to use 1 block and 2 courses to concrete level then 2 courses which will be insulation, underfloor heating, and screen to dpc does that sound correct?
Ideal. seven courses is just about right as it allows for bottle gullies to be fitted without interference from the concrete.

2)on new walls that run in line with old im planing to tooth in the brick (i think it looks neater) but do i need to do this below dpc or could i use firfix up to dpc/?
Don't bother tying below dpc.

3) new walls that run a right angles to old i plan on using firfix, should be ok?
4) the internal blockwork fixed with firfix to old.
Perfect.

5) the bungalow has 75mm cavity the new rooms will have 100mm cavity but were addin 2m to lounge how do we get the internal wals run in line
or could we do a 75mm cavity on the 2 new walls and 100mm on the new front wall?
You will have to batten out the old walls. Building the new walls with 75mm cavity would still mean having to add more insulation to the internal face of the new wall, so nothing gained there.

Thanks that all sound correct then.
Just some points regards soil pipes

the current run to ceptic tank were we have to join into is deep
plan is to join in with inspection chamber at the 90 degree run 1 line of pipe(110mm) through foundation on the side to insepction chamber on other side then run from the 90 on that one sound run over foundations then up with slow 90 in the corner of which will be ulitiy room in to loft space pick up bathrooms in loft conversion trying to avoid soil stack running down out side walls.

Then back to first inspection chamber use the other socket to run pipe through foundations and then up under new kitchen sink unit.

going to bring pipes up on edge of foundations which mean there about 150mm from internal walls is that correct?

pipe the run though concrete foundations going to shutter arournd and leave open then lintol over, or should i just rap with loft insulation?

Many thanks
Paul

Heres a plan i've tried to do with paint
The exsisting bungalow is just the middle rectangle the rear is new kitchen with ulity on side then new lounge extension to front.
Currently dormer bugalow with flat roof
the new front and rear extensions are going to be built up gabled new ridge running right trough.
I'll see if I can get some pics.

Sponsored Links
1) the footings are dug 1m below ground or there abouts plan on trench filling 800mm which will leave 7 courses to current dpc, plan is to use 1 block and 2 courses to concrete level then 2 courses which will be insulation, underfloor heating, and screen to dpc does that sound correct?

What do you mean by 2 courses concrete level?
Is'nt the correct way 1 block 4 brick on outside skin & 2blocks 1brick on the inside skin? Will be attempting a project soon so would appreciate the advice.

I think it means he will put 1 wide trenchblock on the trench concrete footing. Then lay 2 course with a cavity which he will then fill with concrete. He will then lay 2 more courses to bring him to DPC level but those courses will have insulation fitted in the cavity.

I have not done any substantial building work myself so I am only guessing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back