Toothing in - different cavity widths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a kitchen extension many years ago - and now we’ve widened the opening flush to the walls, steels are in. ( sort of ) and now I need to tooth in the extension to main house. On removing the nib it became obvious the cavity on the extension is different. Measures 90mm - main house is 75. And the main house has been built a little on the **** so the blocks are actually out of line by about 40mm. Now…I could join and then batton out the wider side before plastering…but….I have to sit a padstone 575x215 where I’m toothing in. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Either run the new inner leaf under the beam, the full length of the padstone, then bond it in with the existing, or likewise run the existing inner leaf under the beam full length of the padstone, and then bond that in to the new inner leaf.

When you say bond - I assume there will be an40mm step in ( or out ) where the leafs join. Will that bond still transfer the beam load onto the second leaf? I don’t mind the step in / out as I will batten a false front - I just need that beam load to be fully spread / handled sufficient for building control to be happy.

And thank you for the response - much appreciated

As long as the toothing is not directly below the padstone the load transfer will be OK.

What you may want to do is lay some expanded metal on every second bed joint too across the toothing, say about 600mm strips.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again woody. Toothing in by half a block will leave overhang on alternate rows , front and back - shades area in pic. Is that going to be ok or should i fill these? ( really so appreciate the advice ).

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 36
OK, using 140 blocks for the bonded section only will give the same bond area across the wall width.

You can get 140 concrete blocks and aerated blocks, or if you are using aerated new blocks, you can cut two down to 140mm and lay them flat.

foto_no_exif (1).jpg

So, to clarify the two options

- bond the two 100mm walks in and add some ex-met across the bond - no need to fill in the overhanging sections.

- use 140mm blocks for the bond and no ex-met.

Going for the 100mm walk in with expanded steel. Wouldn’t have been able to sort this this week without you Woody. Thank you sir.

Woody - last question - would building control have a preference in extending the 75mm cavity under the beam into the extension (100mm cavity) - so effectively reducing the cavity width of the extension for then length of a block and a half ( assuming that’s sufficient distance from the beam to step out to 100) - or - extend the 100mm cavity into the main house which will mean strong boys etc. extending the 65mm is easier but I don’t want LBC to throw a wobbly. Finally - I’d like to buy you a coffee/beer if you’re on PayPal?

The only potential issue with extending the new cavity wall like that would be whether the wall is on foundations and not just overhanging the old wall at floor level. Otherwise, no issue as long as the foundation is there, and normal cavity insulation, DPC etc is taken care of.

I can't accept anything as that implies payment, a contract and ..... liability. Lol.
No, seriously, I'm only here to annoy certain people and keep my eye on others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back