Steels onto return brick for new opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Background, single story extension built with pitch roof, looking to now knock through and wanted to confirm the placement of the steel beams.

On checking with my architect and structural calculations document and contacting these, it's not that clear on whether the steel beam should just sit on the return brick work from the existing house or not? There is a padstone included in the documents as expected, however I would like the wall to be flush with the extension, diagram to help support this:

1662544317725.png

The area circled, is the corner of the existing house and the original external return brick work, what happens here? Assuming the builder would cut this brick flush with the extension and use the external return for the steel, then the internal return for the inner leaf steel?

Would anything further need to be added to this cavity on the gap of the original return, brick pier built up to support or is it standard to just use a cavity closure.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just ask whoever designed the thing! Surely they know what they have designed?

Hi Woody, the architect is missing in action and they sorted the struc calcs out ! :unsure:

Wouldn't mind some advice on this tbh.

The question is really, can the beam be placed on the return brick work with the required padstone as per the structural calcs document.

Is it best to leave this return cavity open, or ask the builder to brick this up or just use a cavity closure - want to ensure it's built right.

Sponsored Links
Forr a flush wall, you would simply bond the new inner skin to the original inner skin, maintaining the cavity.

The beams would rest on a joint (spreader) padstone, the length of the padstone being determined by the loads the beams are carrying, and the strength of the masonry. On a 2.8m span, the loads won't be great, so a spreader around 450 long would probably be OK, so check with your SE.

Attachments

• spreader..pdf
    280.2 KB · Views: 115
Hi Woody, the architect is missing in action and they sorted the struc calcs out ! :unsure:

Wouldn't mind some advice on this tbh.
No one can advise. It could have been designed with or without a pier, so unless you want an interpretation of the design details, in which case you will need to post up the documents, then you will have to refer to the designer.

Forr a flush wall, you would simply bond the new inner skin to the original inner skin, maintaining the cavity.

The beams would rest on a joint (spreader) padstone, the length of the padstone being determined by the loads the beams are carrying, and the strength of the masonry. On a 2.8m span, the loads won't be great, so a spreader around 450 long would probably be OK, so check with your SE.
Thanks Tony.

As the extension inner skin is tied onto the existing house external wall using a wall starter kit, should the builder simply brick the return cavity, or tooth in the return cavity knocking out some of the external wall?

I will try the SE again, thanks.

Thanks for the drawing, it's appreciated.

No one can advise. It could have been designed with or without a pier, so unless you want an interpretation of the design details, in which case you will need to post up the documents, then you will have to refer to the designer.

Well, it is designed as just to use the return, but personally I can't see this as being enough but I'm no builder or SE for that matter and wanted other options / opinions best practice etc.

Thanks

Well, it is designed as just to use the return, but personally I can't see this as being enough but I'm no builder or SE for that matter and wanted other options / opinions best practice etc.

Thanks
It could be anything as there are many factors involved, so at best you will get general "may be" and "could do" answers and "I did a job last year and we did this ...", but the only one who can tell you what was designed or what will be suitable for your job is the person who designed it.

If you can't find your architect, don't you have the SE's letterhead, or the details of what was submitted to building control and approved?

Have the SE letterhead but also radio silence, submitted to building control with questions and comments..

You could be cheeky and ask your building inspector how to do it!

That is the plan, but asking here to check I'm actually asking the right questions and for all of the experts or anyone that has been through it to provide further guidance.

All appreciated if there are further comments/advice.

Thanks

As the extension inner skin is tied onto the existing house external wall using a wall starter kit, should the builder simply brick the return cavity, or tooth in the return cavity knocking out some of the external wall?
Can't quite follow this - posting a pic or two would help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back