Top soil over grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

I recently got rid of a patio, top-soiled the area and seeded. As it turns out i dont think i put enough top soil down. The grass has grown a lot but the drainage is poor (due t osand and hardcore underneath). Is it possible to put more top soil on top of the grass - will it grow back through?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
probably.

but putting more topsoil on is only going to delay the water from filling it up, (since in effect you have a solid sheet under the soil and probaly solid walls so you could say you are putting soil in a sealed box, (ok no lid)) its the drainage problem you need to pay attention to

breezers right. Ive been working on a job all week where they built a posh housing estate on the site of an old mushroom farm. The builders scraped off all the mushroom compost and the subsoil all became compacted from all the building work and machinery etc. they then put all the compost back as topsoil. The result is a claggy smelly mess that wont drain down through the sub soil which is as hard as concrete. the client wanted a lawn and i had to rotovate part of it and add ground conditioner to it to prove to him that unless he digs it all out and sorts out the drainage hes wasting his time. Hes having some nice cotswold chippings put down now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back