Toro Ultra Blower Vacuum power cord failure

B91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Toro blower/vac power cord has failed internally through constant
IMG_20220819_122352.jpg
flexing when in use. Unfortunately it isn't available as a spare but I'm hoping to find someone with a similar machine that may have failed for a different reason, such as motor burnout, might be able to help. Super machine, light and powerful and I really don't want to have to bin it.

The model number is 51594, serial no 314003705. I understand the serial number range may be important but would welcome responses from anyone with this model.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I may be wrong, but that would appear to be a relatively simple repair job. You would just require a short euro plug lead and some appropriate crimps/connectors to make the internal connections.

Although it's an American video, with connections that aren't completely relevant, the end result will be very similar to what you need; the video also gives you an idea of what is under the covers, should you dare to delve inside! :)

Thanks for the post. I've had it apart but the euro plug lead and its ribbed shield you can see in the photo are one moulded item that fits into the outer casing to prevent the cable from being strained. I guess someone handier than me could knock up a fix but I doubt I could do it satisfactorily.

Should be easy fix, drill out cable from ribbed sleeve and wire directly with a knot as mention to prevent pull out.

Sponsored Links
'Cable glands with strain relief' are available in various sizes if you do decide to DIY it.
It may also be that the strain relief isn't moulded to the cable, but is just a very tight fit.

...or as above, drill out the cable, but the cores should easily pull out first, to make the job easier :)

wow I really never expected such quick and helpful replies(y) In the meantime I was googling around to see what a direct replacement might cost and found one for an unbelievable £76.80 delivered. The RRP is £159 and even Amazon want £133 so I grabbed it, but I'm definitely not going to just bin the old one and when I've got a little time on my hands I'll see if I can fix it - after all things like this rarely last more than 5-6 years.

Just picked up a Henry someone dumped outside my house, replaced the damaged plug and now have a second working vacuum for free.

One of my (many) pet hates is lending tools to people who wrap the flex around the tool so tight that it results in an internal break where the exiting cord relief is. I just wish that they would leave the cord relief straight before wrapping the flex around the tool.

when I've got a little time on my hands I'll see if I can fix it
Pleased to say that with a little help from YouTube it's fully functional again. Had to dispense with the original strain relief fitting and devise my own method but hopefully OK for another year or three.

@opps that wasn't the case here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back