Torsion-box shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am designing a two built-in bookcases, using torsion-box shelves that will be permanently fixed to sides and rear.

The shelf span will be 1040mm (3ft 5ins) and the depth will be about 220mm (9ins). Each shelf will be filled; the typical load on each would be between 25kg (55lbs) to 55kg (120lb) with NO bowing.

Ideally, I would like to dispense with centre vertical supports and rely upon the strength of torsion boxes. Have posted an initial plan below: top and bottom faces are 12mm MDF, with a timber core framework of 18x28mm. Instinct suggests this may be ok for the lower load but I am unsure about the higher figure.

It has been a while since I last worked with torsion-box shelves with heavy loads. Can anyone please assist?

Thanks

View media item 18399

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - I did try the Sagulator page but it couldn't specifically help with torsion-box construction.

I have now made and fixed ten of them, each 1020 x 260 x 36mm, using 6mm ply top and bottom skins, with 28 x 18mm battons. I can stand on them and have confidence that they will not sag with the books they will house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back