Torsion (box) shelving - MDF/baton width

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I'm building some torsion box shelving for the alcoves around my fireplace. The retarded thing is, I've done this before but I can't for the life of me remember the thickness of MDF/baton I used, it was years ago in an old house.

I'm looking on the Wickes site but can't find any 1" batons as I think it was 12mm mdf top and bottom to give me a 5cm thick shelf. As I can't find the right sized batons I'm wondering if I'm being a muppet and getting the sizes totally wrong.

Can anyone tell me the bog-standard, one-size-fits-all (so to speak) standard construction size for a box shelf 50mm thick?

Sponsored Links
Thanks misterhelpful, I don't know why 5cm thickness was fixed in my head, I think I've found a formula:

I'm going to use 3/4" x 1 1/8" batons, with 12mm MDF. Total thickness should be around 42mm.

They do some 44mm x 12mm which I can use to face, I'm hoping the 2mm difference won't notice too much, but at least I can go in and buy this combo off the shelf. Don't really want to have to do any routing. A bit of sanding I'm fine with.

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back