Alcove shelving but with a twist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at building some shelving in the 2 alcoves between the fireplace as well as mounting the TV on the wall.

The normal thick floating shelves look nice but I'm looking to build something a little more bespoke.

I am planning to build this using a torsion box method out of veneered walnut. The shelves will be 300 deep and 70mm thick and using this design, I'm working on the basis that it should be structurally sound.

Any thoughts on this design?

Internet beer to the first person who can name the inspiration.

Sponsored Links
is all that from ikea?

looks nice but isnt it a waste of expensive material just to make a focal point??

No ikea here, it's a model I have designed of my lounge and how the shelving might look in sketchup and rendered to show what it would look like.

Slight fault on my OP, I meant to say walnut veneered MDF on advice that using real walnut may have a tendency to expand and contract where as MDF is fairly stable in this type of application

jurys out for me m8,im trying to have an argument with myself over liking it as it does seem a lovely design over the fact that for the amount of space it is taking up your left with limited shelving space.

Sponsored Links
I made walnut vennered mdf shelving for alcoves, used two sheets with a core of 12mm timber ribs [19mm veneer mdf X2 + 12mm = 50mm] this creates a sandwich with the 12mm set back 25mm from the edge at sides and back.Cover front with 50mm venner tape. 20mm square timber screwed to wall along sides and rear and shelf slots on creating a floating shelf.
Good idea to find the veneer tape first as can be difficult to find and adjust dimension to suit whats available.

Inspiration - could it be the original 'snake' as found on Nokia mobiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back