alcove shelving - no straight/perpendicular walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

this is my first post so please be gentle!!

I'm a handman and have a customer who wants some bodged floating shelves between an alcove replacing with something doing properly!

I have constructed the 3 shelves slightly oversized to allow for trimming.

So my actual question is:

what the order of scribing and trimming should be given that none of the 3 walls are either straight nor perpendicular to each other. And how exactly to go about this

I am thinking that the initial criteria be that they are parallel to the chimney breast and also that the front edges are vertically in line

As stated the shelves are already made slightly oversized

Approx size of the shelves are 1000mm wide by 300mm deep (46mm thick)

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated!

Andy

Sponsored Links
if all the shelves are identical cut the one to the largest space first

be prepaired to use cardboard templates

the fact a shelve is say 700mm at front and back dosnt nessiserily mean its parralel so check for angles before cutting to a template

remember shelves above head height the underneath off the shelve is crutial for apearence below head height the tops are visible and important

if you have done one shelve [including template] check in other locations for it may fit better or if it fits or part fits there you can mark the next shelve with adjustments as nessisery

Mark out the front corners of your shelf on the wall, and cut a straight batten a little shorter.
Hold the batten between the points, and use an adjustable bevel to get the angle between the front edge and one side right. Mark this on your shelf.
Do the same with the other side.
Measure the depth of each side, mark this on your shelf.
Use your straight stick to see if the back edge is straight or bowed, and mark out on your shelf.
Cut out shelf. Fit.

Oops missed a bit out.

Cut your shelf, try to fit.
Remove, plane edge.
Try to fit.
Remove, plane a bit more.

Repeat several times.

Fit shelf.

Alcoves nearly always slope (wider at the back) so you can never slot them in without a gap. If you try and put them in at an angle the thickness of the material will defeat you.

The only way to do it properly is cut your shelf over-size and chase out a slot to fit it into - then make good afterwards. That's how the Victorians did it.

Sponsored Links
Joe is right, i have done this quite a few times and it usually works out easier to knock them up in situ. I recently did some in 2 inch solid oak and if the rear is wider than the front you can not fit them in without a gap.

You can't fight mathematics!

thanks for the replies

have now installed the shelves, just trial and error really. The walls weren't too bad after all, just caulked the gaps and painted

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back