Total Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House currently has a 7KW shower on a 30A MEM rewirable fuse in the full rate CU. If this is upgraded to a 8.5KW unit the old consumer unit could be renewed to provide a suitable MCB. There is also a modern Total Control split load consumer unit which includes a section for 24 hour equipment such as a focal point fire. Is it acceptable to run the shower off this Total Control supply? This would make the job easier as it would merely need an additional MCB.

Sponsored Links
Cable is 6mm which I understand is adequate for 8.5KW. It also has the correct DP isolating switch.

Sounds like a split load for an economy 7 supply...... ?

Unless you only want shower between the hours of 00:00 and 01:00 and 02:00 and 07:00 I would keep it on the peak tarrif CU.....

maybe readin wrong of course......

Sponsored Links
Or is their 3 CU's......

1 for peak normal cct's )cooker, sockets, lights etc).

1 for peak heating (immersion, panel heaters, under floor).

1 for off peak heating (immersion, storage rads etc).

???????????????

There is a normal meter going to an antiquated fuse box which currently supplies the sockets, lights, cooker and shower. There is also a Total Control meter going to a modern CU which is split 3 ways. One section is for cheap rate water heating, another for storage heaters and another which provides 24 hour electricity. This 24 hour section currently goes to a boost timer for the hot water and also a focal point electric fire in the living room. There are 2 spare MCB slots in this 24 hour section and all I am trying to find out is if the shower could also go on there.

Yes, it could. Assuming the tails feeding that part of the CU are sized adequately - 16 or 25mm would be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back