Shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mira 8.5kw (@ 240v) shower that has broken. I want to replace it ideally with a matching powered unit, however I am unsure about the current wire. It appears to be 6mm² (although isn't labelled), and runs approx 10m total to the consumer unit (7m under floorboards, no insulation, and a 3m section in trunking), on a 40a MCB.
Normally I would assume I can replace like for like, but a lot of what I've read online recommends 10mm² or 16mm² for over 8kw.
Is this wiring safe enough or does it need upgrading?
Is replacing a shower unit like for like notifiable?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a Mira 8.5kw (@ 240v) shower that has broken. I want to replace it ideally with a matching powered unit, however I am unsure about the current wire. It appears to be 6mm² (although isn't labelled), and runs approx 10m total to the consumer unit (7m under floorboards, no insulation, and a 3m section in trunking), on a 40a MCB.
Ok.

Normally I would assume I can replace like for like, but a lot of what I've read online recommends 10mm² or 16mm² for over 8kw.
Rubbish.

Is this wiring safe enough or does it need upgrading?
From your description it is fine.
9.5kW would be just over the limit because of the trunking but because of the short duration of showers I would say it would be alright,
but 8.5kW definitely alright.

Is replacing a shower unit like for like notifiable?
No.
There is no mention of "like for like" in the regulations; just "replacements" which are not notifiable.

Ok.

Rubbish.

From your description it is fine.
9.5kW would be just over the limit because of the trunking but because of the short duration of showers I would say it would be alright,
but 8.5kW definitely alright.

No.
There is no mention of "like for like" in the regulations; just "replacements" which are not notifiable.
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking 2 quick follow up questions please:

- You mentioned 9.5kW would be just over the limit: Would a 9kW @240v (8.3kW at 230v) be ok? It's surprisingly difficult to find an 8.5 that matches our previous unit for flow rate and I don't want to upset the Mrs. by getting a 'weaker' shower.

- to give a bit more detail, the under floorboards section of the wire is between 1st floor floorboards and ground floor plasterboard ceiling, mostly suspended in the middle of the void, occasionally next to other cables. Assuming that doesn't make a huge difference?

Sponsored Links
Yes, 9kW will be alright.

As I said I would not worry about a 9.5kW.
Whilst that is only just over, @ 230V & 8.74kW which technically we should use for design, it is acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back