Total idiot newbie here!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings from the Midlands UK.

I have to cut a number of facia boards, lengthways, removing 2cm. The approx length of each board is 60cm.
I tried a circular saw, and failed to get an accurate cut. I tried a jigsaw, and broke all the blades as they kept bouncing out of the cut.
I've used these types of tools successfully b4, but bnow I have a new CS, and new JS blades, I'm lost!! :confused:

Regarding CS blades, mine says 185x24x20. What does this mean, please :?:

Regards,

DIY Deadhead, UK.

Sponsored Links
i would get someone else to do it, it's quite obvious you arent the full shilling, and will only balls the job up.

You don't say upvc or wood, however try & use a G-cramps and secure it on a workbench or on a scaffold boards using a couple of trestle leaving your hand free. Just take your time and cut it slowly to prevent bouncing out movement.

Measure the distance from the edge of your circular saw sole plate, to the blade. Add this distance to 2cm to get valueX. Clamp a piece of batton (or another bit of facia board) to your facia, at a distance of valueX from the edge. Now run your circular saw along the length of the board, using this as a guide.

Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
i would get someone else to do it, it's quite obvious you arent the full shilling, and will only balls the job up.

Thank you Freddie. Your response was about as useful as a politicians promise.

Next time I post, be nice......... Stay away.

Thank you guys, for your answers and advice, which I will follow.
:)
Regarding the 185x24x20 numbers, would I be right in guessing that it refers to diameter, teeth and bore? :rolleyes:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Erm...... Now you come to mention it......... No, I haven't, but it would make good sense. :oops:

When you have done that have a go by all means, then count you fingers and remembered what i said in my first posting. I have a mate who lost all the fingers on one hand and he was experienced. Dont think they can sew them on again, they can but apart from picking you nose they are totally useless.

Freddie said:
When you have done that have a go by all means, then count you fingers and remembered what i said in my first posting. I have a mate who lost all the fingers on one hand and he was experienced. Dont think they can sew them on again, they can but apart from picking you nose they are totally useless. With what you wrote originally, i wouldnt let you in my workshop, and i am not trying to be funny

Funny? No. Perish the thought my man! :eek:
You arent funny. You are serious, experienced, accomplished, responsible, mature, dependable and highly skilled, I'm sure.

But funny or helpful, you AINT. :evil:

Ok get a workbench or kitchen table, clamp the work to the bench or table with at least 2 clamps and mack sure where you are cutting is over the edge of the bench as not to cut into it. Then with 2 small clamps clamp a straight edge along side the cut to be made the full lengh so this will allow you to cut in a straight line, allowing for the distance of the jigsaw blade and the side of the jigsaw foot, and away you go. If you use the jigsaw you can go nice and slow and carefully, use the skill saw and slip, if you are lucky its only the job what gets knackered.

Thank you Freddie.
See, I am a DIY newbie and deadhead, but other than in that particular field, I'm not quite so dim.
I appreciate your clear advice.

Walsall? I dont quite understand. What is the significance of Walsall?

Yes, indeed I am.

Not very near Walsall though. Nearer to Stratford on Avon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back