Total renovation - basement to Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice I've recently purchased a house and the basement area I would like to convert into a kitchen.

It's a terrace house built on a slope so the basement opens up to the garden.

There are some issues im concerned about and would like some advice.

I'm guessing I would need to drywall the area but there is plenty to do before .

1. Where would be the best place to vent the kitchen hood, bearing in mind the cooker would be on the left side wall or corner of basement .

2. I need to install central heating would it be sensible to do this first before as the current hot water Heater is down there.

3. The floor is springy above hence the reason I think for this odd support in middle of basement ( non load bearing). I'm thinking of removing the current joist with an rsj?.

4. Before dry walling should I seal the basement walls.

5. Any tips or advice would be welcome as I am a new diyer.

Thanks on advance for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
Is this being done under Building Regs? - it should be.

In which case as a first step you should forget 'sealing' or 'drywalling' the cellar walls, otherwise
you will end up with a smelly room riddled with dry rot, particularly as it's partly underground.
Tank it properly, then insulate floor and walls, and of course replace the timber beam with a correctly-sized steel
beam.

Those are the main considerations - the rest follows from those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back