Total upperfloor renovation/build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

been back and forth to this site plenty of times in the past for bits and bobs of info that usually have been asked before, so no need to sign up.

anyway, im now about to start a total knock-down and re-build of the upstairs of this house.

we originally planned on just changing the floorboards and carpet etc in one room, however, upon taking wallpaper off and lifting boards, it has become a much bigger job.

this house is a 1907 built cottage terrace.

the previous owners have DIY'd everyhing, from painting to flamin extensions!! and in the process have ruined a house!

anyway we have now chosen to empty all rooms
take down all interior walls ( all stud-partition plasterboard )

** wich are of course on 75degree angles not 90 as they should be! **

remove all floorboards ( some original 1930s by the looks )
and make sure joists are level etc and then lay a new T&G flooring on top.

and then re-build the walls ( straight )
we need to start here first and you guys may have handy info..

so... i have taken a few pictures so you can all see the work and can maybe help with ideas on how to make it easier and quicker!

big job and could do with advice on where to even start!

thanks. ( sorry for long post )

** IS IT SAFE FOR THESE ELECTRIC CABLES TO BE SO CLOSE TO BOILING PIPES? **

Sponsored Links
Take care when you're pulling up the floorboards as they're worth a bob or two!

** IS IT SAFE FOR THESE ELECTRIC CABLES TO BE SO CLOSE TO BOILING PIPES?
No
Heat reduces the current-carrying capacity of cables, and also shortens the life of the PVC insulation (if it is old rubber it will already have been ruined and need to be replaced)

For a start put Climaflex or similar insulation on the pipes. This will prevent the cables touching the pipes; and will lower the temperature of the underfloor void, and will also save heat wastage.

If you cannot reroute either the pipes or the cables, then put a plasterboard partition (which is fireproof but not much of an insulator) between them as well. Clip up the cables so they are not draped on the pipes. If there is room put a layer of loft insulation under the cables (do not surround the cables in insulation) as well as the Climaflex.

Put a thermometer in there with the heating running and tell us what the temperature is in that void around the cables.

Cables should not be bunched together as this also reduces their current-carrying capacity.

I will check the temp asap, (hate sundays, nothing can get done!) The previous owners have chucked pipe off-cuts, boxes, rubble and almost everything under the floorboards ( the downstairs ceiling is buckling under the weight!! )

While writing this reply i had a look under a few more boards and Ill post the pics up now..

the joists are doubled-up (any ideas why this is ?? ) and i have come across a central heating system, that has pipes laying on top of joists, crushed between joist and floorboard :eek:

This seems to just be unsafe!
also, the stone wall seems to have started collapsing and has left alot of stones and rubble between joists.
What are your toughts? Is it something worth worrying over?

1. pipes crushed between joist and floor.
2. new seperate joists next to original ? why ?
3. space between joists filled with rubble from walls

thoughts needed asap.. pics are up too

Sponsored Links
I've found all sorts under my floorboards including rubble, ciggie butts and even a tampon :eek: (unused thank God!).

When my Auntie had her shower tray replaced, there was a half-eaten sandwich under it!!!!!

Maybe the joists are doubled as whoever's installed the pipes has had to notch the existing joists and the double joist will provide a little extra bracing.

I'm a Building Services Engineer by trade and photos like that bring me out in a cold sweat, however "house bashers" seem to have a fondness for installing pipes like that as it's quicker and less hassle than bracketing properly and insulating the pipes. Then the poor homeowner wonders what those knocking noises are when they turn their heating on/off

Lifted a few more boards tonight

( 3 rows of boards all the way across the room )

joists all seem in pretty good nick other than a few notches here and there.

This is my plan for the next few days...

1. Tomorrow:

Extend the notches currently holding CH pipe work to accomidate them better ( one is just resting ontop of joist ) make sure that all pipe/cables are flush ( or below even ) joist level.

clean out rubble from between joists and just have a general tidy.

order the materials etc...

** carpets and beds arrived today so even more motivated now **

MY ONE PROBLEM IS THIS.....

at one end of the room foorboards continue under a partiton wall from
bedroom 1 to bedroom 2.

how on earth do i get this out??!? because i can garuntee the previous didnt take any nails that are under the wall out so it was easy to remove the flooring.

so so*s law: the wall will be on top of a joist, on which the floorboard is nailed into with a 4inch nail !!

what can i do?

thursday..

hopefully i can start taking up the skirting and also making sure all gaps and cracks are filled and sanded smooth ready for decor.
remove door frame and architrave ready for new (square angles ) frame from unpainted pine ( we have a untreated knotty pine look throughout... to look more traditional as it is a 100+yr old cottage )

Friday:

start laying the new boards down...probably take a day or so..

Sunday:

add new skirting and door frames once floor is all down.

Monday:

Start Decorating...

line walls with lining/backing paper throughout
paint 3 walls white and paper a feature wall behind bed..
( going for a white and black glamourous look - matching leather bed )

hopefully by thursday that is all done.

Friday ( next week )

lay underlay and carpets and move furtiture in... DONE

what dya think??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back