Totally Unnecessary Cover Versions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, if you're going to cover a song, then you owe it to yourself to make it AT LEAST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL....
An example of this would be Johnny Cash ripping off Nine Inch Nails and "Hurt". Some divots think Cash wrote this, the original is still better IMHO but he had a good crack at it.
Which brings me to today, listening to R6 at home...and a song by The The from 1983's "Soul Mining" album called "This Is The Day". Awesome track from a great album which was ahead of it's time. And it's just been murdered by the Manic Street Preachers. Sounds like some drivel you'd hear on PopIdolFactorXTalent. What a bunch of talentless ****s....WHY????!!!!!

So, vent your spleen and tell us what track p*sses you off.... :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Keatings cover of Keith Whitely's "You Say It Best"

I know you're going to hate the interjection, but.... X Factor :eek: Why do these people sing to a formula???

Sponsored Links
Generally I agree that covers are unneccasary and only serve to show the performers up and it's rare that a cover is actually better. Whilist I do like the Manic Street Preachers and think they have produced some very good stuff a cover always seems a little lazy. However, having said that I'm actually going to go against the flow and say I prefer the MCP version, the original is to be quite honest a bit bland and pub singerish the remake has a bit of bite in my option.
Anyway for those who don't know the songs-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWv7l8Lm_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiIVNU_on8

However to answer the original question of tracks that P you off
how about the Rolf Harris version of Stairway to Heaven

Right, if you're going to cover a song, then you owe it to yourself to make it AT LEAST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL....

I disagree.

Surely the whole point of a cover is (literally) to make your version of it as either a statement of your own musical taste or even how it could be improved if you are very brave.

As always music is a very personal thing. To me NIN are crap but Johnny Cash is a legend and his version of Hurt actually is better simply because he isn't **** like NIN are. :) Trent Reznor has long said he was very unhappy about JC's version because Hurt is very personal song for him. I believe he has since relented, probably because JC is dead.

I could go on to list a million covers that I like but that's probably pointless as they are personal to me, whether I think they are good or bad is irrelevant.

ABCwarrior said:

The alternative is to make it completely different. How many covers were they of Frank Sinatra's "My Way"? :?: :?: :?: I remember only one that stood out. Whether you liked Sid Vicious or not, you have to admit; he certainly did it his way. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Knockin on heavens Door by Bob Dylan is not a patch on the version Guns N Roses did. Guns N Roses made it their own and the song is more popular than Dylans version.

Sponsored Links
Back