Touch & remote control dimmer switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi in my new flat's hallway I have five GU5.3 MR16, 12v, 50w halogen, bulbs. The are controlled by a Varilight touch and remote control dimmer, the basic V-DIM model. I have some problems, the lights go on or off when switching other lights in the flat and some times they do not switch off completely but they have a weak light. I now tried to use Philips LED Master dimmable 7w MR16 spotlights but I have again problems to control the lights with the dimmer. Any ideas what can be the problem? Would it help if I instal the top model of Varilight, the V-PRO dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
Is this something newly installed or a problem that has just occurred on circuit that has been fine for sometime?
My next move would be to check that the transformers are compatible or faulty.

It was installed when i bought the flat and i was never 100% sure how to operate it. I recently replaced the halogen with dimmable LED bulb but is still the same. Innitally i thought it was that the system was operating in its maximum capacity i.e. 5x50w=250w so installed LEDs 5x7w=35w. what would be a compatible transformer for this settings?

The normal set up would be one transformer per lamp, the transformer would require to be able to deal with the output of the lamp, in this case above 50W, the transformer also need to be able to dim at the required load.
Something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-20-60va-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-240v/48058

They need to be accessible when installed and also require ventilation, so do not cover with thermal insulation.
Personally I would go down the LED route.

Sponsored Links
The transformer indicates minimums load 35w. Does this mean than minimum bulb wattage should be 35w? Do I need specific transformer for LED lights?

The transformer indicates minimums load 35w. Does this mean than minimum bulb wattage should be 35w? Do I need specific transformer for LED lights?
If the transformers are maximum rated at 35W then the lamps should be no greater than that, I would consider even lower than 35W lamps.

12V LED lamps, will require drivers rather than transformers, but the same principles regarding dimming and loading apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back