Touching up gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've painted a door using Dulux non-drip gloss white, and noticed a patch that didn't fully cover. However my attempts to simply touch up the paint ends up with a very different noticeable texture/finish.
I used a gloss roller, so going for an intentional orange peel effect, but the edges of the touchup area have very small flecks of paint so creates a rough and inconsistent finish.

How can I blend in the finish of a touchup when using gloss an a gloss roller?

Sponsored Links
Roll the entire section again, though personally I consider an orange peel affect as being a fault.

An issue with rolling the whole section again is if I miss a spot the second time, I'm back in same situation and could potentially have to re-roll the section many times.
Since it's white gloss on white gloss it's quite hard to visually see if coverage is complete.

Currently I'm thinking of using a very small modelling brush and highly thinned paint to smooth over rougher finished parts. My concern is if the paint is too thinned it may lose some of the gloss finish.

Sponsored Links
Gloss touched in over gloss ens up with a halo effect where the outer perimeter of the spot is more matt than the rest.

I have no idea if waterbased gloss is more forgiving.

If you are using oil based gloss you can add some Owatrol oil to the finish to help you keep a wet edge when rolling. If waterbased gloss, add some Floetrol instead.

Alternatively (and or additionally), use a larger roller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back