Painting old wall that is gloss and plaster

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, what do I do?
I've stripped off the old wall paper in the loo and have bare plaster with patches of gloss paint. I want a painted finish.
I'll rub down the gloss paint to create a key.
What's a good primer? Some of the posts here recommend Dulux Super Grip Primer.
Would you use that? Or something else?
Thanks
Mary

Sponsored Links
I'd use one of the Zinsser primers - have a look at their website

• Thanks
Reactions: Min
Unless you have removed all the wall paper paste carefully, use Zinsser Gardz. You may have to do quite a bit of sanding and filling to get an even level surface between bare plaster and old paint.

• Thanks
Thanks Nige F - Bulls Eye 123 looks good. Can't see I need the Plus.
Thanks OchAye. I have washed the wall four times to get all the paste off. Yes, the sanding and filling it a worry. Thought I'd sand to create key, paint a first coat then sand again.
One of the posts mentioned using steam to get gloss off woodwork. Any idea if that's worth trying on plaster - or would it just degrade the plaster?

Sponsored Links
Gardz looks like the alkali-resistant paint I've used previously in other rooms - underneath the wall paper was 1950s distemper

Thanks Nige F - Bulls Eye 123 looks good. Can't see I need the Plus.
Thanks OchAye. I have washed the wall four times to get all the paste off. Yes, the sanding and filling it a worry. Thought I'd sand to create key, paint a first coat then sand again.
One of the posts mentioned using steam to get gloss off woodwork. Any idea if that's worth trying on plaster - or would it just degrade the plaster?
Sand to create a key. Sand the edges of the paint a bit more to make them thinner. If you decide to use filler, get a wide knife (taping knife, small plasterer's trowel whatever you like) and fill from over the paint onto the plaster as wide as you can go. Sand again .. the idea is to create a smooth ramp(???) between paint and plaster.

If you have an electric sander it might just get rid of the paint; sorry I am not into steamers but if you overdo the steaming you might damage the plaster (I would rather use warm water and get the patch soaking wet for a few minutes and try again). Also check this site https://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/products/ but I have never used any of their stuff.

• Thanks
Wowsers - water-based, non-toxic, non-caustic, no fumes . . . "Trade Strip" removes all sorts, including oil-based and lead-based from any substrate inc plaster. Game on!
Apart from hating the dust of sanding, I was concerned that it would be lead-based oil paint, so this looks like a viable alternative. And no endless filling trying to get a decent 'ramp'.
Thank you so much! I'll report back when I've tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back