Dulux Trade Weathershield Gloss Vs International Ext Gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I'm about to embark on painting my house, I have been researching various paints on the market, and obviously looking for the best product.

I'm drawn to the dulux trade weathershield gloss three part system (even though the 1st part (primer) is no longer available - a water based alternative is now suggested) Vs the International external gloss product.

I'm assuming I only need the primer if I strip back to bare wood? Which I will on a few sections, but the majority of paint is sound although starting to flake in places where I will just rub down sufficiently to smooth and provide a key, then apply 2 x undercoat and 2 x gloss.

Dulux has an apparent 8 year life whilst the International has a 10 year.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products?

I'm also wary of the dulux system due to the replacement of primer part, with a water based product, is this aquashield preservative primer even suitable. It also appears that ICI own both these companies........so what are the differences?

The Dulux system is significantly more expensive, but I wonder whether this added expense is warranted by quality?

Any pointers much appreciated,

Thanks - Ian

Sponsored Links
Weathershield works very well - have used it few times - really good gloss finish. I still prime with oil-based to make sure of a sound finish. Only need one top coat.
:D

where do you get / what do you use as a primer as all I can get is this water based stuff, which is evidently clear so has no covering properties at all. A very dissapointing move from dulux I think.

Today I picked up some Weathershield Undercoat and Gloss £35 each for 2.5l so I hope it's the best!

One question - It says two coats of undercoat followed by one coat of gloss, will it need both coats of undercoat if the wood I'm painting is the same colour? Seems a bit overkill.

I do agree it sounds strange they do a three part system with no 'part 1' and no real explanation anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry my mistake 2 undercoat and 1 gloss. The purpose of the undercoat as I understand it is to give a sound, flat, opaque, clean surface for the gloss coat to adhere to, I would always go with 2 undercoat.

The removal of the intended undercoat is all to do with non conformance to these VOC2010 regs. But why I'd want to put a water based clear preserver / primer on an oil based system I don't know, I'm steering towards the standard dulux trade wood primer, or zinnser which is meant to be the dogs b's of primers........

The ws undercoat is a primer as well as an undercoat.
used to be ; prime any bare wood with 'preservative basecoat' this was stage one. the preservative primer of corse should only be used on bare wood.

now they say bare wood= 2coats of undercoat and one gloss.
If prviously painted one undercoat and one gloss. ( after prep)
Or something like that :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back