Toupret Joint and Skim Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope this is the right place for this.

I have had my kitchen plastered and now are ready for mist coating. Like always, there was something i forgot to do before the plastering was done and i remembered just as the plasterers completed! Anyway, this job involved me using a 150mm hole saw to cut a hole in a timber framed plastered wall and feed some cabling through. The intention was to use the centre puck that came out with the drill and secure this back in afterwards, fill the gap around the edge and happy days. Anyway my better half decided to throw the bit that came out away as rubbish so i had to create a new piece using fresh plasterboard. As this piece did not have any skim on it, it sat back a few mm from the finished wall level. I screwed some timber in behind it, fixed and secured the new piece in and then scraped some of the skim off the wall around the hole and put scrim tape across the joins ready to skim. See photo below.

I used toupret Joint and skim for this. It went on fine and had no issues. Anyway, as it has dried it has slumped in the centre where the hole is a bit deeper. As expected ok but as it has dried a number of random cracks have formed in the filler. As this will obviously need a top coat, do these cracks just need raking out and then skimming across with easifill or similar? The substrate is definitely secure and free from movement so are these likely as a result of filler shrinkage during drying??

First photo is before, second is when first filler coat was wet, third is when first filler coat has dried.

THanks.
20240401_181834.jpg
20240401_182534.jpg
20240403_214953.jpg

Sponsored Links
Max 5mm for the joint and skim.
You have probably gone too deep in one go.

Toupret interior filler maybe better for the deeper filling. Good stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I had a suspicion that might be the case. I have raked all the filler out as it's still damp and started again. Would it be best to use something like easi filler light to fill the gap around the edge of the filler piece first, then skim over the top with the toupret interior filler.

Have not used the Toupret joint and skim but imagine it does the same job as easifill
You may get away with multi coats of Toupret J&S.

Toupret filler is very good and useful to have in the garage/shed.

I am DIY BTW but have done a fair bit of taping/jointing and filling.
I would J&S the join and use filler to level once J&S dry

Sponsored Links
Update

Had another go at this tonight. Ripped out the old puck completely and cleaned off all the filler. New puck gone in, checked its secure all over, all joints scrim taped so it's below finished plaster level and then used gyproc easy filler light around the edge of the gap, all screw holes etc. Will let this dry overnight then toupret interior filler skim over the face of it (approx 3mm). Thanks for the advice hopefully better second time!!! Every day is a school day!!

20240405_193041.jpg

20240405_194937.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back