filling deep holes and patches in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the best way to fill holes and dents in plaster ready for it to be wallpapered over some of the holes and dents are over half an inch in depth, should i do it with poly filler in layers and also some big pieces of skim has come off about 12 inches square and about 3mm in depth can i use the poly filler to patch this as well or can i use something else, thanks,
someone told me i can use coving adhesive in place of filler, is this also correct or should i stick to poly filler.

Sponsored Links
Hi
You can remove every bit of flaking or loose paint from the area and then fill the dents with something called One Coat Plaster which you can buy from most DIY stores and builders merchants. It is best if you can paint the area to be plastered with some PVA adhesive first and get the plaster on just before the PVA dries. This gives the plaster excellent adhesion to the wall.
The One Coat Plaster can be put on in one go up to about 25mm thick but it is very "sticky" so do not try to get it flat and smooth straight away. Get it into the required places and flatten it out as best you can. Then leave it for 10 minutes and try to smooth it a little. If it is still very sticky, leave it longer.
Sooner or later it will stop sticking to the trowel and you will be able to get it nice and smooth. If you feel you have left it a little too long, splash a little water on it and trowel hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back