Do you fill a hole with plaster or filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I have pulled away some shelving and now have some holes in the wall - some are maybe a 1 cm deep and wide and 30 cm long. Other holes are a cm deep and wider.

What do I use to fill this? I was going to buy some Screwfix ready mix plaster however noticed they also sell filler so wondered what was better?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Plaster can be hard to get a good smooth finish with, if you are not used to using it, and won't lend itself to sanding if it ends up uneven. I would go with a powdered filler which you can mix to a relatively stiff consistency to apply easier without it sagging, and will also be easier to sand smooth than most readymix fillers. That said, lightweight readymix fillers, like Red Devil Onetime, can be applied to the kind of holes you describe without sagging but I always find they are a little soft when dry and have a slightly different texture than powdered fillers. Either/or are suitable, but both are a better option than plaster if you are inexperienced with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back