Filling a hole - best way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just put up some new wall lights in the lounge. The old ones had a large base that covered the large hole where the wires came out. The new one is slightly smaller so you can see the hole at the top and bottom of the base.

Should I just use poly-filler and then smooth it up, or is there a better way?

Suggestions most welcomed :D

Sponsored Links
i dont know the correct answer but if you do go with filler i'll add that the box of PollyFilla all purpose powder that I bought is much easier/better to work with than the tub of PolyCell "easy sand" filler. Really easy to mix up too.

You're right there Darren,, powder based fillers that you mix up yourself, are better by far, than the ready mixed filler/junk that comes in a tub or a tube. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

You're right there Darren,, powder based fillers that you mix up yourself, are better by far, than the ready mixed filler/junk that comes in a tub or a tube. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

Thanks guys, by the way, were you being sarcastic roughcaster?

Sponsored Links

Roughcaster.

Ozz,, c'mon,, have you "ever" seen a sarcastic reply from me, to a person asking a sensible question? Not once,, and you never will. The raised eyebrows indicate my opinion of ready mixed filler,,, junk as i see it. :rolleyes: Powdered filler is always best. ;)

Roughcaster.

:LOL: :LOL:
Ozz,, c'mon,, have you "ever" seen a sarcastic reply from me, to a person asking a sensible question? Not once,, and you never will.
Most anyone else & I’d be very sceptical; just goes to show how even the best intentions can easily be misunderstood. ;)

Edit; the tub mix ultra fine stuff is brilliant (if not expensive) for small blemishes & you can usualy get away without sanding.

all except - Red Devil One Time - in tubs are poo . That stuff is exellent :idea:

This was a good 1cm deep by 3cm by 2cm, I used the filler, pushed it in then applied more and smoothed it off. Will leave it a day and go back and sand it off. Thanks for the advice, will watch roughcasters posts with enjoyment I think :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back